Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ph.D. ABD and in mid-air!!!!


So if you image-google "Ph.D. ABd," this is one of the awesome super awesome pictures you get.
Umm, the other images are stunningly unflattering head shots of professors languishing in part-time, no-benefits, temporary college teaching positions until they write their dissertations.

But this guy, the dude in the middle, in THE AIR FLYING, yeah, oh yeah, he too is PhD ABD.
In ninja awesomeness.

That's right folks.
I sat in a little room while five very smart people pummeled me with smart and tricky questions.
I sweated. I shook. I gave stupid, rambling, answers that let everyone know that I  don't know what "close reading," "new criticism," or "deciduous" really mean. Which makes me a moron.
And I gave pithy examples of rhizomatic methodology. Which were cool.

Then those five asked me to leave the room while they discussed my work and my pass/fail grade. Then, after 15 minutes (during which time stopped and the stars began to implode), they asked me back in.

And then they said, "Congratulations! You passed!"

Which makes me able to jump up, kick, fly around, and be Ph.D. ABD ninja ready.

(I still have to write a 200 page dissertation.)

5 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Dissertation, smisherstation! Well done lady PHD Norah! Applause and various celebrations!

I hope you will be able to take a break after you are done. It has been a long road.

Anonymous said...

yay!
now you are officially cooler than Al Pacino in Ocean's 13!

Anonymous said...

i am officially not surprised, but very happy for you :)

norah said...

Does Al Pacino know how to explain rhizomatic methodology on command?
Can Al Pacino find emergency babysitting when the pre-planned babysitter is rushed to emerg with low blood sugar a mere 30 minutes before a life-changing exam?
I THINK NOT!

Indeed, I am way the eff cooler than he.

norah said...

And thanks guys.