Tuesday, March 17, 2009

flashes of rhizomes of lines of flight!

So Hugo and I flew to Edmonton.
It was cold and the wind was blowy and I bought The Watchmen there.
And I read it in between exams.

Exams were hard. My brain started to feel foggy. It was clanking, groaning.
Although at times I lit on points of creation : of ideas and words flashing together in synaptic rhizomes, maps of study-time.

And I passed.

Thank EFF.

In two weeks I go back for the Oral Examination. Sounds gross, hey?
Five profs sit around me (in a semicircle? as a linear panel? holding hands?) and ask me questions about what I wrote in my exams.
I'm not too worried.
As long as I'm rested and the brain stays clear.

I am much happier than I've been in a long time. Even today, whilst grumpily shopping at SuperStore, I was fairly happy. Even when BOTH my classes revealed that they hadn't done any of the VERY EASY and VERY SHORT reading assigned for today, I was happy.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah! a post! lovely :) happiness is to be celebrated always. you should totally punish your students tho'. the watchmen, eh. what did u think? to really appreciate it i had to put myself in the time it was written & what it represented for that era. nuclear terror, reagan era politics, e.t.c.
there is a fair bit of comic history in there too...

norah said...

the cold war was so scary - i remember being worried about nuclear war, so i found it easy to slip into that time. yeah, it helped to know that time.
but even then, fears today about terrorism aren't all that different.
especially if you compare nixon to bush : both at war, both ended up unpopular.
i enjoyed reading it, but it took me a while to get into it. i liked the postmodern bits : the pseudo-metanarrative was pretty cool.
gender though : i guess it was the 80s, right? so, not bad or still bad? kind of remotely proto-feminist?

i'm curious about the comic history.
and just might want to teach The Watchmen next year if I get to teach a lit course. :)

Anonymous said...

ah, the Watchmen. Still the greatest comic maxi series of all time. let's see:
a world devoid of heroes.
part murder mystery/ part politcal drama.
the God-like Dr. Manhattan leaves earth...nice commentary on religion.
america's favorite hero (Rorschach) is a sociopath...
president Nixon is paranoid.
every hero has a touch of madness.
this story, along with the narrative and the sub stories forces us to look within and face our own fears of modern life.
sure it could be updated for a new millemium paranoia, but the story works on so many levels.
c'est magnifique!

norah said...

it really IS a great story : An Admiral, now I am definitely going to teach it. And funny that I didn't think of the God thing, considering the God is American part about Dr. Manhattan.
I am so impressed with the elegant intervweaving of storylines, character backgrounds and politics.
I still kept wishing for a good guy though!

Anonymous said...

rorschach was the good guy!

at least in my mind anyway.