Saturday, August 23, 2008

Appreciate or Else


The summer is over. I know because our summer guest has left.
She got, the day before leaving, "traveller's fever." She told me this so as to explain her sudden diet of dry bread, garlic broth and strange cups of tea.
She put chunks of ginger, two mint tea bags, and sugar cubes into one of those big Starbucks coffee cups. The soupbowl sized cups. And then drank it, cold, all day. The tea looked greasy and green. Apparently that is also how she looked at the airport. Eva doesn't like travelling.
I'm talking about Eva, the mother of the father of my child. My mother-in-law, but I don't really like that title. It's too accurate. And Eva, or as I call her in the privacy of my mind, "She Who Communicates in Mysterious Mutterings," is never an accurate communicator.
She did do a lot of housework. The house SHONE. Hugo ate off the floor a few times and it was cleaner than the table is now that she's gone.
And she loves her grandson. She spent a solid month playing with him, trying to teach him Czech, fretting about his bumps, farts, rashes, poops, naps. I'm glad he has so much love.
And there is nothing like really getting to know your in-laws to really get to know your spouse. Holy Insight.
I appreciate Vita a lot.
And I love my baby.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...the love your old dad has for a new mom.

Anonymous said...

also, glad things have relaxed a bit around there :)
understanding is key, they say.
also, underpants. underpants are sometimes very key indeed.

norah said...

a ha.
underpants.
indeed.
and new love for old peeps.
a ha!!

PurestGreen said...

This is a lovely post. Underpants are sometimes important, but are also often a hindrance and should be cast aside.

Anonymous said...

i think that it is difficult for our parents to slip into perceived obscurity. they feel that they no longer have any pertinence.
without their children to coddle, our parents (and parent in laws) lose a part of their lives.
if it wasn't for them, there would be no us.
they are important to us and to our children.
as frustrating as this can sometimes be to us, it is usually not frustrating to our children.
reassurance and compassion are needed most in these times.

physical distance works as well.

norah said...

thanks.
i've been trying to focus on the very positive parts of Hugo's grandparents. they love him, they play with him. they do my dishes.
and if imagine Hugo all grown up with kids of his own then i can definitely imagine myself knocking on his door extremely frequently.
either that or i'll just move in.