Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hungarian rhapsody


It's been so long since I've posted that my readership may have given up.
Entirely reasonable.

Hugo, now 2 and 1/4, weaned, chatty, and strong-willed, is ambivalent about daycare. He likes it, he hates me not being there. So he walks smiling towards the door, steps in, starts crying. Cries for hours.

No more daycare. Our collective hearts can't take it.

Instead we've hired our Mary Poppins, the world's loveliest, smiliest, sweetest nanny. She's Hungarian, and on the first visit to Hugo she said, "Hugo, do you like kisses?" To which he nodded and leaned in for a smooch. She plays with him. She reads to him. They giggle a lot.
She's a live-out nanny, which means a regular and highly paid babysitter. Which means nearly half my wage goes to her. Worth every penny.

And work is cool. Next term, in Readings in the narrative, we're reading Frankenstein, Monkey Beach, Chiwid and Seed Catalogue. By "we" I mean me and the keeners: I hope all three classes will be 100% keeners.
Or at least scared of my piercing pedagogical gaze. Pierce! Pierce! Read the books! Pierce!

Ah, epistemological violence. So 1980s.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your readership will never give up. by readership i mean me.
yay, i am glad for you to have reached a solution. parenting is all about finding solutions. good for personal growth. "have kids, grow capabilities you never knew you had"
keeners unite!

PurestGreen said...

You will never escape me, either because you are locked inside my Google reader. Just be sure to remember your password!

Your little guy is very cute indeed. Chiwid- is that Sage Birchwater's book?

ShazRon said...

I did not know you were away, I guess because I am new to blogworld and tend to follow other Bloggers about to interesting sounding blogs - which lead me here.

I shall have to find out what you mean by the title - somehow I thought i was in for an alternative sociological narrative 9I'm into things like that).

For now, I wish you well with your readership and wish you piercing stares which convert all they fall upon to your intent.

arsarca said...

i'm happy you have a nanny! you need to update your blog more regularly! i'd read it every day!