Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fun Iran?

OK, so about three capfuls of snow melted this week.

When this winter ends I'll get naked in the sun!
Well, maybe not. But I'll go for some sunny-soaking walks with my kid and maybe even the H-dot if I can wheedle him into it.

I read The Burma Chronicles.
Interesting, but lacking any kind of urgency. I mean, I know memoirs don't have any kind of plot necessarily. But some of the little stories are ridiculously mundane. 

And exoticism : hmm? Any thoughts?

Against my desire to not buy more stuff not necessary to living, eating, breathing, I bought:
-2 Azar Nafisi books
-both persepolis books

I don't even have time to read them.  Which means I'll read them and feel guilty about it.
I'm supposed to be reading about the history of environmentalism in BC. And about mean cracker settlers in northern BC. (I chose that adjective carefully : some settlers were better than others, but they all stole land and contributed to starving, jailing and decimating First Nations populations).

Iran seems funner to read about. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the mundane strips probably portrayed an accurate (and mundane) life in Burma for Guy and co.
I'm glad to read that other people in other situations are living life as normal as i.
in this way the book is comforting.
if i was looking for urgency I'd read my bank account.

norah said...

hmm. good call on the mundane strips.
do his other books have those strips?

persepolis is great. really great.

if i was looking for urgency i'd look at my bank account, my career, my kitchen sink, my hair . . . blah blah.

but not our collective kids. they are the best.