Thursday, June 17, 2010

woods

I'm a bit stuck in the dissertation.

I am on page 52 of the second part, which is good.

The first bit was about 20 pages, so I still have around 130 to go.

The 52 pages are about settler memoirs of the Cariboo Chilcotin. They are, generally, crazy books. The writers are in love with their own heroics. They are frightened by dense stands of pine trees. They hate wolves like the Ahab hated Moby. By the 1970s, the writers grow pot and flout "convention;" meaning they hunt out of season, drive their pickups without a license and engage in, ahem, free love.
So while these are books set in "nature," they are not about nature. They are about self-adoration and settling - stealing - land.
I'm at the end of my chapter, and I need a doozy of a conclusion. I have it roughly worked out, but it needs to be tight and good.

Here's to wolves and dog's-hair pine forests and pickup trucks.


4 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Sage Birchwater has done some great collections. The book about Chiwid is wonderful.

Your dissertation sounds interesting, and I would love to read it.

norah said...

Yeah, I love Chiwid.
I taught it to 3 sections of first year last year.
It's a very special book.

Anonymous said...

well, that is flibbity-floobin wierd: i cannot email you from my email program. i'll figure that out tomorrow...thx for the super visit! i am glad u got home safe & you've left a few things...shoes (u & hug-os) i'll bring em next month when we come down, unless u need them sooner?

Norah Bowman Broz said...

This is my blog. But sadly, I forgot the password AND my email account I had this blog linked to crashed.
If I can't get in, I'll start it up again somewhere.