Thursday, November 13, 2008

flattery


A former professor has flattered me into agreeing to write an 800 word review of a book about gender in the Middle East.
He called me "brilliant."
No, I am not getting paid to read the massive and probably depressing book or to write the very long review that will be published in an acdemic journal that many people love to read and criticize (hence forcing me to write in an agony of self-doubt).
Damnit.
Flattery. It works. Damnit.

And a pitch for an article for a magazine is taking wayyyyy to long to get past the editor. It's not even an accepted pitch and I've spent hours on it. Again, no money!!

I've really got to stop working for free. I work for free at home already (cooking, cleaning, etc).

I write this blog for LOVE. :) And to prove that Hugo can climb stairs.

Although some flattery would help too.

3 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Climb, Hugo, climb! I, too am a complete sucker and end up working for free when I should be getting paid for it, or at least in some way recognized/given a career boost. All the work for the podcast I'm doing on my own time, and I've spent more than three years waiting for my bosses to appreciate my abilities and keeness and promote me. Three years! Oy.
Pitching ideas for articles is a good thing. Publishing an article in an academic journal is a very good thing. Your name in print - that is a powerful thing. I'm going to shut up now.

ps - have I told you what a beautiful genius you are? Will you bake me some cookies?

Anonymous said...

heh heh. first you get excited about stair-climbing & latch undoing. then you curse yourself out loud whilst chasing toddler & getting no work (free or otherwise) done.
sigh. but that face? so worth it!

Anonymous said...

hey kiddo! what up? i am going to call you soon :)